Thursday, April 28, 2011

the bird is the word

This morning, I participated in a Skype Q&A session with some of the fine students at UNMC, moderated by the brilliant Dr. Zimmerman. Talking with med students was a lot of fun, and I'd gladly do it again. It was a serious & scholarly discussion about diagnosing and dealing with ALS.

Until I flipped off the class.

I was in the process of explaining how I use the computer — typing with the on-screen keyboard and clicking the mouse with my middle finger. I stated that I use my middle finger because it's the strongest. That prompted Dr. Z to say, "That must come in handy when someone parks in multiple handicapped spots." (see previous post for reference)

I, without thinking it through, said "Well, I can flex my finger fine, but I can't really extend it." And then, for reasons unknown even to me, I decided to demonstrate my finger extension.

Which is how I flipped the bird to a lecture hall full of people at 9:30 this morning.

Fortunately, my single finger salute got some laughs. Like, a lot of laughs. For posterity, I'll try to recreate my moment of triumph with my webcam.


Hopefully the class learned a thing or two from me that will prove useful in their careers. If not, at least we had a few laughs.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Thank you so much for coming to our class today. I learned a whole lot more than I usually do (and hopefully will remember a lot more too). All in all it was interesting, enjoyable, and I hope you enjoyed yourself as well. I also love the blog, especially the name of this post...reminds me of family guy.

Thanks again for talking with us.
Cheers!!!